Practical credit vetting and decisioning
An in-depth and interactive two-part training session that helps you understand credit risk and apply the principles of assessment in a practical setting. You are given the knowledge, tools and techniques needed to assess your customers, make an informed decision of appropriate risk control, and communicate this effectively. Working as a team, you will be guided to develop your own assessment tool which you can use to recommend the risk level of a customer within the requirements of your own organisation.
What will you gain?
· Closer alignment to your organisation’s risk appetite
· Practical tools for assessing the risk of credit customers
· Confidence to make or recommend tangible credit decisions
· Skills in communicating risk and controls in a succinct and useable format
· A platform for adapting and improving existing assessment and communication tools.
Who is it for?
This training is suitable for anyone who vets new or existing B2B customers and makes credit risk decisions or recommendations on that basis. It is particularly useful to those who are tasked with communicating and reporting their findings. Team leads can use this training as a springboard for process development and change projects.
What will it cover?
1. Risk and reward: purpose of credit risk control and the balance of objectives.
2. Credit risks: identify the main credit risks and how to reduce them.
3. Approach to risk assessment: 3-step approach to assessing the credit risk of a customer.
4. Financial interpretation: identify and analyse key financial indicators of a business.
5. Tools and techniques: how to use data, credit limits, risk categories, securities and terms.
6. Bespoke assessment tool: design a checklist tool to recommend risk.
7. Decision making: create and communicate justifiable recommendations.
8. Risk assessment PR: risk assessment opportunities and sales profitability.
This training session is aligned to the following CICM Professional Standards:
BS 1 Strategy and policy
BS 2 Business and regulatory acumen
BS 3 Know your customer/client
BS 4 Financial and data interpretation
PS 1 Communication and relationship-building
PS 2 Problem-solving and decision-making
B1 Inquiring; B2 Future Focused; B3 Resolute; B4 Resilient; B5 Ethical